Kate Spade turns 47 today. Hedge fund manager Jim Chanos is turning 52. Former Observer owner Arthur Carter is 78. Jonathan Benno, Per Se's outgoing chef who will soon be opening a restaurant of his own, is 40. Annette de la Renta, the wife of Oscar de la Renta and a charity gala fixture, is turning 70. Ryan Seacrest turns 35. Ricky Martin is celebrating his 38th. Author Mary Higgins Clark is turning 82. Heiress Marylou Whitney is 84. And actor Mekhi Phifer is 35. A few people with Christmas birthdays are listed below.
• Michelle Obama wore a magenta Michael Kors dress to the White House Correspondents' dinner on Saturday, in case you were curious. Even more exciting: Donatella Versace penned her first blog post from the event. [WWD, NYM, HuffPo]
• Rachel Zoe has a line of accessories for QVC that will debut this fall. [WWD]
• Carine Roitfeld is not a nymphomaniac, nor does she insist on weighing the staff of French Vogue daily, you'll be relieved to hear. [Fashionologie]
• Abercrombie & Fitch is opening another store on Fifth. The retailer is taking over Hickey Freeman's flagship to open a kids store. [Racked]
Annette de la Renta, the gala staple and wife of Oscar de la Renta, turns 69 today. Designer Kate Spade is 46. Hedge funder Jim Chanos is turning 51. Former banker and Observer owner Arthur Carter is 77. Per Se's Jonathan Benno is turning 39. Heiress Marylou Whitney is turning 83. Ryan Seacrest is 34. Author Mary Higgins Clark is turning 81. Actor Mekhi Phifer is 34. And singer (and new dad) Ricky Martin is celebrating his 37th birthday today.
We have no idea what any of this means, and we could probably care less, but it does include ousted Viacom CEO Tom Freston, former AOL head Bob Pittman, and, uh, Kate Spade, so, you know, we'll slap it up here. Also, it says "embargoed news," which is a pretty good way to get your press release up on Gawker. So it's something about Plum, "a new type of media company." Get the whole story after the jump.
• Big ol' pictures of the eye-meltingly pretty new LES — thanks, Hollywood! [Curbed]
• You want to stop by Kate Spade's place tonight? Here's her address. [Planet Gordon]
• Even the inexplicably still-employed David Spade ought to know better than to piss off Robert Blake — while he's going back in to get his gun, someone could get hurt! [CC Insider]
• Those Observer bastards just outed William Li, effectively ending his career. [Media Mob]