Well, folks, it finally happened: The Strokes' Julian Casablancas made a cameo on SNL tonight with Andy Samberg for a digital short/music video of the Lonely Island hit, "Boombox." It was simultaneously awesome and hilarious, naturally. Video inside.
Kim Cattrall turns 53 today. Kelis is turning 30. Heroes star Hayden Panettiere is turning 20. Google co-founder Sergei Brin is 36. Steve Case, the co-founder of AOL, is turning 51. CBS Early Show co-anchor Harry Smith turns 58. Randy Mastro, a former deputy mayor and now a lawyer, is 53. Actress Carrie-Anne Moss (The Matrix, Memento) is turning 42. Country music legend Kenny Rogers is 71. C-list reality TV star Brody Jenner is turning 26. And Long Island's very own Amy Fisher turns 35 today. Weekend birthdays below!
Kurt Andersen, the co-founder of Spy and former editor of New York and Inside.com, turns 54 today. Also celebrating: CourtTV creator Steve Brill is 58, hedge funder Dave Ganek is 45, and 60 Minutes' Steve Kroft is 63. Tori Amos is 45 today. National Review editor-in-chief Rich Lowry is 40. And Scooter Libby is 58. On Saturday, Kobe Bryant and Strokes singer Julian Casablancas will both be 30. Village Voice fashion columnist Lynn Yaeger will turn 57. Rick Springfield will be 59. DJ Timmy Regisford will be 45. Novelist Nelson DeMille will turn 65. On Sunday, Gawker chief Nick Denton will be celebrating his 42nd birthday. The New Yorker's Adam Gopnik will turn 52. Mel Karmazin will celebrate his 65th. Craig Kilborn will be 46. Dave Chappelle will be 35. Vince McMahon will be 63. Most importantly, Steve Guttenberg will be 50.
· "julian casablancas riding a bike in greenwich village1:30 pm near broadway & 8th street, looking very rough & not at all cute & wearing ....A STROKES T-SHIRT! was he wearing it 'ironically'? who careshe looked like a goober."
· "A patient Janine Garafalo being interviewed last Thursday by a high school student (or an NYU student; I can't tell any more) for ninety minutes at Java & Jazz Caf just above Union Square. Janine is very small and cute. I bet she hates it when people say that."
· (male) friend writes in, "sat next to jason biggs on the plane back from l.a. he didn't say very much; spent a lot of time reading the n.y. post. when we confused our water glasses he says, 'maybe we can tell them apart by the shade of lipstick.'"
"At the Gawker launch party last night, I thought you were a friend of Julian Casablancas but really you run some weblog or something. When the booze ran out I tried to find you to share these really neat pills I discovered while scrounging in Meg's purse but I think you were in the bathroom re-mussing your million dollar post-Jimmy Fallon hair. I was wearing legwarmers. I'm dying to continue our conversation on Zipf's Law. I know you wanted me, so bust a move and come and get it."
More than virtual? [Craig's List]
· Rosie O'Donnell says Winona Ryder should be locked up. "Because her last film sucked." [Page Six]
· Gwyneth Paltrow says Brazilian bikini wax "changed her life." [Page Six]
· Lisa Ling's granddaddy was a pimp. [Page Six]
· Strokes lead singer says newspapers are "ruining [bleeping] the world," and Mayor Mike is buying a mountain bike. [NY Daily News]