Living in Los Angeles often means feeling like you have to spend time defending your city from those who would call it a vapid wasteland of celebrity inanity and pathetic wastrels pretending to be glamorous. To those in the know, L.A. is an interesting and varied place from which a person can ski, surf, go see some world-class art, and then have an exquisite Mexican feast, all in the same day.
• Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy got married in a quiet ceremony in France a few weeks ago. Sneaky! [Life & Style]
• Emmy Rossum's husband, music exec Justin Siegel, has filed for divorce. (Their 2008 secret marriage was only discovered when the couple was reported to have split up in August.) Naturally, Siegel is asking Rossum to pay for the divorce and he's seeking spousal support, too. [TMZ, Us]
• Yet another book is coming out alleging that Bill Clinton did inappropriate things. In her new book Government Girl: Young and Female in the White House, Stacy Parker Aab claims Clinton groped her in a hotel room in 2000 and his pal Vernon Jordan tried to kiss her twice. Good thing the poor girl got this all off her cheat a mere nine years after the fact. [NYDN]
• Is Andre Balazs the latest man to fall victim to Kelly Bensimon's feminine charms? Life & Style reports the hotelier and the "housewife" were seen getting cozy in Miami recently. [L&S]
• Kiefer Sutherland is in the clear. Prosecutors have dropped charges against him in connection with his assault on Jack McCollough back in May, since the designer has proved to be an "uncooperative witness." [NYDN]
• Mischa Barton is still in the hospital and may lose the role on the TV show that she was supposed to start filming this week. So what made her snap? In addition to all the drug stuff, she may be suffering from body image issues, too. [Sun, People]
• Ruth Madoff was supposedly spotted at LaGuardia en route to visit her husband in jail. And she was supposedly wearing ripped jeans, too. [P6]
• Lindsay Lohan and Sam Ronson are tussling once again. This time, Drea De Matteo was involved. And LiLo's clothes ended up in the street. [DM]
• Speaking of troubled young stars, Mischa Barton's rep is denying reports that it was Barton's drug issues that sent her to the hospital. [OK]
• Lizzie Grubman says she was asked recently to join the cast of Real Housewives of New York City, but decided to turn it down. Our loss, clearly. [P6]
• Because fake tanning is an art, Victoria Beckham has retained the services of a "personal spray-on tan artist" to help her "shading appear more natural." [DM]
Damon Dash pushing a stroller in Tribeca with a friend ... Naomi Watts carrying her son on her shoulders in Soho ... Jimmy Kimmel leaving the Trump International on Central Park West ... Hugh Jackman picking up after his dog in the West Village ... Ryan Gosling shooting scenes for his new movie in Brooklyn ... Pete Wentz pushing son Bronx around Midtown in a stroller ... Jamie Kennedy and Jennifer Love Hewitt taking pictures of themselves while walking in Soho ... Conan O'Brien chasing a taxi down Park Avenue for an NBC skit ... Michelle Williams carrying daughter Matilda in Brooklyn ... and Rihanna bowling at Lucky Strike.
Brad Pitt getting into a car in Soho ... Kate Hudson watching the game at Yankees Stadium ... Hugh Jackman walking in the West Village with son Oscar ... Tim Robbins riding a bike in the Village ... Gisele Bundchen getting out of a taxi ... Madonna walking into the Kabbalah Center with sons David and Rocco ... Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt arriving at JFK ... Naomi Watts playing in the park with son Sasha ... Michelle Williams getting coffee with daughter Matilda and a friend ... Jennifer Love Hewitt talking on her cell phone in the meatpacking district, and later shopping in Soho with boyfriend Jamie Kennedy ... Rihanna going to Da Silvano for lunch ... Chace Crawford hanging out on the set of Twelve ... and Justin Timberlake running to his car in Tribeca.