It’s heartening that Spike Lee, Jada Pinkett Smith, and, as of this morning, her husband Will Smith have publicly denounced the Academy Awards, declaring that they will not be attending this year’s ceremony. The Oscars, though seen as a pinnacle of artistic achievement, really amount to cherries on top of a bowl of them. They represent more success to those who have already had so much of it—success in getting a movie made, and then success in getting it sufficient attention to yield Oscars, either by selling a lot of tickets or wooing critics, or, most frequently, some mixture of the two. It’s high time we reevaluate how much we invest in their importance.
Today marks the day that Willow Smith—aka the 9-year-old daughter of Will and Jada—releases her first music video, for her first single, "Whip My Hair." And, honestly? It's good. Actually, it's really good. Like, really good. Watch inside.
James Gandolfini turns 48 today. Lance Armstrong is turning 38. Jada Pinkett Smith is 38 today, too. Designer Karim Rashid is 49. Comic actor Fred Willard is turning 70. Actor James Marsden is 36. The Brazilian soccer star Ronaldo is turning 33. The rapper Xzibit is turning 35. Senator Bob Bennett of Utah is 75. Actress and former Talk Soup host Aisha Tyler is 39. Singer Frankie Avalon is turning 69. Actress Holly Robinson Peete is 45 today. And Robert Blake, the former Baretta star who was acquitted of murder in 2005, turns 76 today. You'll find weekend birthdays listed below.
• Is Penelope Cruz with child? The only evidence seems to be that she looks a bit bigger these days, but if that's enough to convince you, feel free to pass the rumor on to everyone you know. [P6]
• Jesus Luz, Madonna's Brazilian model boyfriend, isn't happy that Madge has been spending time with her ex, and he's become "downright childlike" in his need for her constant attention. That might have something to do with the fact that he is a child, but whatever. [NYDN]
• Who says the love fades after 60? Jane Fonda is reportedly head over heels in love with her new boyfriend, music producer Richard Perry. And Robert Redford tied the knot with his younger German girlfriend over the weekend. [P6, People]
Lindsay Lohan leaving the Bowery Hotel ... Michelle Williams walking in Brooklyn with daughter Matilda ... Jada Pinkett Smith arriving at her hotel in Midtown ... Gretchen Mol shooting scenes for her new show, Life on Mars, on Roosevelt Island ... Agyness Deyn walking with a coffee in hand ... George Hamilton arriving at NBC studios ... Zoe Kravitz flipping off photographers while walking with her mom Lisa Bonet and her mom's boyfriend Jason Momoa ... Christie Brinkley and daughter Alexa showing up to an Obama benefit concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom ... Katie Holmes leaving her apartment building en route to the opening night of her show, and later heading to the after-party with Tom Cruise ... and Clay Aiken signing autographs outside the Shubert Theatre.
James Gandolfini got married a couple weeks ago. Today he celebrates a birthday: He's 47. Others on the b-day list today: Lance Armstrong is 37. Designer Karim Rashid is 48. Jada Pinkett Smith is turning 37. Actress (and former Talk Soup host) Aisha Tyler is 38. Holly Robinson (of 21 Jump Street fame) is 44. Senator Bob Bennett of Utah is 74. Actor/murder suspect Robert Blake turns 75. And actor James Marsden is 35.
» Zac Posen showed the kind of pretty dresses that made him famous. What has also made him famous, of course, is his dazzling knack for networking, which was in full effect with a starry audience of Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy, Marisa Tomei, Leighton Meester, Venus and Serena Williams, Anna Wintour, André Leon Talley, Bernadette Peters, Diddy, Julian Schnabel, Bette Midler, Juliette Lewis, Kate Mara, Jada Pinkett Smith, Veronica Webb, Joy Bryant, Rachel Zoe, Ingrid Sischy, and Fern Mallis. [WSJ, Wireimage]
Marc Jacobs and boyfriend Lorenzo Martone kissing while eating outside at Pastis ... Liv Tyler walking in the Village with her son ... Andre Leon Talley walking with Venus Williams while wearing peep toe shoes ... Keira Knightley taking a stroll with a friend ... Diane von Furstenberg chatting with a group of women at a Fashion Week event ... Claire Danes and Jada Pinkett Smith posing for pics in the front row at Zac Posen's show ... Tobey Maguire being followed by paparazzi while jogging on the street uptown ... Natalie Portman walking under an umbrella on her way to the Rodarte show ... Heidi Klum en route to Bryant Park ... Tyra Banks standing outside and surrounded by fans ... Blake Lively striking a pose in Bryant Park ... Agyness Deyn looking like she's about to trip while making her way into the Kors show ... Goldie Hawn exiting a store ... Jessica Simpson leaving her uptown hotel en route to the Letterman show ... Eva Mendes going somewhere in a hurry ... Ricky Gervais standing on a street corner and talking to a woman ... and Lindsay Lohan leaving a party, followed closely behind by Samantha Ronson.
·If you thought a Jada-on-Eva love scene was the way to lure your other half to The Women, Diane English pretty much killed your plans. [Late Show]
· While we already know Julianna Margulies's vagina will be all the rage come spring, we'd also like to pass along the happy Fashion Week news that men will be wearing tutus, curtains up to their nipples, and Dockers cut for a four-year-old. [BWE]
· In honor of Raffaello Follieri is Going to Jail Day, we thought we'd include a link to the FBI's list of all the jewelry he bought Anne Hathaway with God's nest egg. [TSG]
· It's the hi-res poster for Lindsay Lohan faked-pregnancy movie, Labor Pains. [Lohan.4fans]
· Jessica Alba, as undoubtedly some have always wanted to see her before. [People]