Tonight, shortly after the conclusion of the second night of the Republican National Convention, the Twitter account of noted political satire program The Daily Show pointed out what appeared to be evidence of Donald Trump Jr. lifting a portion of his speech from an article published in the American Conservative, just one night after his stepmother Melania was caught plagiarizing part of her speech from one given by Michelle Obama at the 2008 Democratic Convention:
Earlier today, Buzzfeed’s Andrew Kaczynski and Megan Apper published a list of the 49 “best” tweets sent by Donald Trump Jr., the 38-year-old son of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. It is a thorough list, featuring a large number of entertaining tweets on a variety of topics. But 49 is a lot of tweets. To save time, here is the single best Donald Trump Jr. tweet:
Diane von Furstenberg's spent the past week on the slopes in Aspen; today she'll celebrate her 63rd birthday. Other people turning a year older on New Year's Eve: Val Kilmer is turning 50. Bebe Neuwirth is 51. Anthony Hopkins turns 73. Ben Kingsley is turning 66. Donald Trump Jr. is 32. Famed attorney Joe Flom is 86. Real estate developer Ed Minskoff is 69. Author Nicholas Sparks turns 44. Donna Summers is 61. Gong Li is turning 44. And New Kids on the Block alum Joey McIntyre is 37 as of today. A bunch of people celebrating tomorrow below.
• It looks like Don Trump Jr. and his wife Vanessa are spreading out a bit. A week after the couple paid $1.125 million for an 1,800-square-foot apartment on the 12th floor of The Sovereign on East 58th Street, they've now paid another $1.595 million for the apartment next door. [Cityfile]
• Douglas Lebda, the founder of LendingTree, has gone into contract to sell his penthouse at the Legacy on East 84th Street. After more than nine months on the market, Lebda is taking a loss on the sale of the 5,175-square-foot apartment. Purchased for $8.6 million in 2007, the mortgage exec is reportedly selling it for "close to" its listing price of $7.5 million. [NYT, BHS]
• Kimberly Guilfoyle is moving on. The Fox News anchor, who announced in June that she was splitting from her second husband, furniture store heir Eric Villency, has picked up a new apartment. Guilfoyle paid $1.3 million for a three-bedroom co-op at 229 East 79th Street. Guilfoyle's first marriage was to Gavin Newsom, the mayor of San Francisco. [Cityfile]
• Donald Trump Jr. and wife Vanessa have closed on an apartment at The Sovereign on East 58th Street, which they went into contract to purchase earlier this summer. The couple paid $1.125 million for the 1,800-square-foot apartment. [Cityfile]
• Investor Enrique Foster Gittes is cutting another $2 million off the price of his 13,000-square-foot townhouse at 12 East 63rd Street, less than three weeks after dropping the price to $23.5 million. Priced at $28.75 million back in April, the home is currently listed for $21.5 million. [Cityfile, BHS]
• The triplex penthouse in developer David Walentas' Clock Tower Building in Dumbo has hit the market for $25 million, which is more than double the highest price ever paid for a home in Brooklyn. [NYT]
Jared Kushner learns quick. And he's going to blend into the Trump family just fine. WWD reports today that the engagement ring he gave Ivanka was from Ivanka's own collection, a 5.22 cushion cut diamond that's "proprietary" to Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry™. Ivanka will now serve as a living, breathing ad for her engagement ring line (as well as benefit from the press attention that follows). And Jared—hopefully!—managed to knock a few bucks off the price thanks to this most personal connection. Most importantly:
• Bob Weinstein and his wife Annie Clayton are reportedly looking for a buyer for their five-bedroom apartment at the Beresford. The 6,500-square-foot duplex is "quietly" being offered for "around $34 million" by Brown Harris Stevens broker Ileen Schoenfeld. No need to worry about the couple being homeless if they manage to unload the apartment: In addition to a townhouse on West 70th Street, which they picked up for in May for $15 million, the Weinsteins also own a one-bedroom on West 67th Street and a condo at Astor Place. [NYO]
• Retired hedge fund manager Michael Steinhardt has sold his two-bedroom apartment at the Museum Tower. He and wife Judy won't be moving, however: The Steinhardts split their time between an apartment at 1158 Fifth Avenue and a massive estate in Bedford. [Cityfile]
• Charles Martin Jr., the CEO of Vanguard Health Systems, has picked up a pied-à-terre. The Nashville-based exec purchased a four-bedroom duplex at 155 West 15th Street for $6.675 from Blackstone senior managing director Neil Simpkins and his wife Miyoung Lee. [Cityfile]
There have been very few moments in his life when Donald Trump has not been willing to go on cable television to pontificate on the state of the real estate market. But it's only been a week since Trump's casino empire went bankrupt, so this might just be one of those moments (although given the new season of The Apprentice debuts next week, it's safe to say the shilling will begin again soon enough). But what do you do if Donald won't come on and Don Jr. isn't available and Ivanka Trump can't even be bothered to throw on a cocktail dress and grace Fox Business's classy barroom set with her presence? You turn to Eric Trump, naturally! Sure, he graduated college about 15 minutes ago and wasn't even around for the boom market much less understand the causes of the current real estate crisis. But he's been very well trained, clearly. Take a long, hard look, folks. We have a sinking feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of him over the next, oh, four decades or so.
• Hope you're sitting down for this one. Donald Trump Jr. and his wife Vanessa had a baby yesterday. It was a boy. And he will now bear a burden for the rest of his life: His parents named him Donald J. Trump III. [People]
• Lindsay Lohan is launching a self-tanning line called Stay Gold. Finally! [NYDN]
• "Real Housewife" Bethenny Frankel was spotted using coupons at a hair salon. [P6]
• After dating for about half a century, Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart may finally be ready to get hitched. [Cindy Adams]
• Please note that Walter Cronkite is not related to social/art scenester Kipton Cronkite, despite his claims to the contrary. [P6]
Diane von Furstenberg turns 62 today. Donald Trump Jr. is 31. Actress Bebe Neuwirth is 50. Anthony Hopkins is celebrating his 71st. Val Kilmer is 49. Legendary attorney Joe Flom is 85. Real estate mega-developer Ed Minskoff is turning 68. Donna Summers is 60. Author Nicholas Sparks is 43. Ben Kingsley is turning 65. Gong Li is 43. Aerosmith bassist Tom Hamilton is 57. And New Kids on the Block alum Joey McIntyre is turning 36.
Of course, you already knew that Donald Trump's kids were unassuming, salt of the earth types, but this interview with Don Jr. and his pregnant wife Vanessa just confirms it. For Christmas this year, the couple will be at their "modest" three-bedroom home for "an unpretentious occasion" with no lavish gift giving, "just a few framed photos and albums for [their toddler] Kai's grandparents and charitable donations made in their relatives' names." They also kindly share their favorite recipes with readers, although clearly Don prefers to cannibalize his own child.