Here's a trailer for Tower Heist, the star-studded Brett Ratner (shudder) comedy about a bunch of apartment building employees who decide to rob the place's swindling, Bernie Madoff-esque richest tenant. Timely!
The man calling the shots at the new New York Times, Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, is celebrating his birthday today: He's 70. (Let's hope Arthur Sulzberger Jr. didn't forget to send a gift.) French president Nicolas Sarkozy is turning 55. Elijah Wood turns 29 today. Sarah McLachlan is 42. Alan Alda is turning 74. Writer/comedian Mo Rocca is 41. Liberal radio host Randi Rhodes is 51. Rick Warren, the controversial pastor and self-help author, is turning 56. The rapper Rakim turns 42. Former 'N Sync member Joey Fatone is 33. And former Backstreet Boy Nick Carter turns 30 today.
The Savannah College of Art and Design held its Style Etoile Awards at the James Cohan Gallery on Monday night. The evening's honorees included Russell Simmons, Amanda Burden, Cornelia Guest, Robin Givhan, and William Ivey Long (left), and attendees at the event included Cynthia Rowley, Agnes Gund, Michael Fink, Yigal Azrouël, Mario Buatta, Bobby Zarem, music exec Michael Mauldin and his wife Judy, producer Tom Fontana, SCAD president Paula Wallace, Ann Slater, designer Lars Nilsson, and Russell's brother and girlfriend—Danny Simmons and Julie Henderson. [PMc, Wireimage, WWD, NYSD]
• Former Wall Street big-wig Marshall S. Cogan is re-listing his apartment at 810 Fifth Avenue. Cogan put the sixth-floor spread on the market for $40 million two months ago, but pulled the listing soon after. It's now up for sale again, although the price is now just $25.5 million. [P6, BHS]
• James Craige, a partner at Stone Harbor Investment Partners, paid $7.5 million for a four-bedroom duplex at 170 East End Avenue. [Cityfile]
• Alan Alda and his wife Arlene have sold their three-bedroom home in Sag Harbor for $550,000. [Newsday]
Bon anniversaire, monsieur le président! France's Nicolas Sarkozy turns 54 today. The most popular man at the New York Times, Mexican billionaire—and NYT investor—Carlos Slim Helú, is 69. Elijah Wood is 28. Actor Alan Alda is 73. Comedian Mo Rocca is turning 40. Nick Carter is turning 29. Sarah McLachlan is 41. Joey Fatone is 32. The rapper Rakim is 41. And power-hungry, homophobic pastor Rick Warren is celebrating 55 years on God's green earth today.
• Natasha Lyonne has sold her penthouse studio in the Gramercy Towers on East 16th Street for $440,000. The once-troubled actress is now renting in the East Village. [NYP]
• The owners of two 15 CPW condos who listed their ninth-floor apartments as part of a package deal for $21.5 million back in August, have lowered prices for a second time. You can now buy the combo deal for $18.495 million. [Cityfile, Corcoran]
• Alan Alda and his wife Arlene have paid $3 million for a two-bedroom, 51st-floor apartment at the Millennium Tower on West 67th Street, the same building where they purchased two adjoining apartments in 2000 for $4.9 million. [NYP]