A few years ago, NBC News hired Chelsea Clinton as a “special correspondent”—which meant, in practice, that Bill and Hillary’s daughter didn’t have to do any actual reporting. It turns out that coddling a child of privilege is very expensive! Politico reported on Friday morning that NBC News paid Clinton $600,000 per year to star in hard-hitting segments such as:
- On Assignment: Chelsea Clinton admires vegetarian stands taken by Stella, Linda McCartney
- On Assignment: Chelsea Clinton reflects on Judy Blume’s impact on her childhood
- Meet the guy in those AT&T ‘It’s Not Complicated’ commercials
- Paul McCartney: Being Stella’s dad, ‘pretty cool’
- ‘Elephants are very human’
The network, which closely guarded the details of Clinton’s compensation, reportedly converted her yearly contract to a month-to-month one several months ago, due to the possibility that Clinton’s mother, Hillary, would formally announce a 2016 presidential campaign sometime in 2014. It’s not clear if that means she’s paid more or less than before.
If you know more, hop in below.
[Photo credit: Associated Press]