Train employees discovered a man on fire this weekend after he apparently accidentally electrocuted himself while train surfing in Connecticut.

According to reports Metro-North employees discovered Brian McClellen, 21, burning on top of a Manhattan-bound commuter train when the power suddenly shut off around 5 am Sunday.

McClellen had reportedly been enjoying a long train-surfing session when he was suddenly electrocuted by a mechanical arm called a pantograph, which transfers electrical currents from overhead lines to the train.

Greenwich police told reporters they believe there may have been an explosion when McClellen was electrocuted. Metro-North employees had to use fire extinguishers to rescue the 21-year-old, who was transported to a burn unit and remains in critical condition.

"Subway surfing is simply one of the dumbest things you can do," reports common sense and an MTA spokesperson.

[image via Shutterstock]