Lester Holt Named NBC Nightly News Anchor, Williams Demoted to MSNBC
NBC News and MSNBC chairman Andrew Lack announced today that Lester Holt will officially replace Brian Williams as permanent anchor of NBC Nightly News. Brian Williams will return to MSNBC, the network he left in 2004. Who says you can’t go home.
“Lester has done outstanding work for NBC News over the last ten years, and he’s performed remarkably well over the last few months under very tough circumstances,” Lack wrote in today’s press release. Blah, blah, blah, he continued, “In many ways, television news stands at a crossroads, and Lester is the perfect person to meet the moment.”
Bundled in the press release is an apology from Brian Williams:
“I’m sorry. I said things that weren’t true. I let down my NBC colleagues and our viewers, and I’m determined to earn back their trust. I will greatly miss working with the team on Nightly News, but I know the broadcast will be in excellent hands with Lester Holt as anchor. I will support him 100% as he has always supported me. I am grateful for the chance to return to covering the news. My new role will allow me to focus on important issues and events in our country and around the world, and I look forward to it.”
Brian Williams recorded an interview with Matt Lauer earlier this week, and it is scheduled to air Friday morning on Today.
Images via Getty. Contact the author at firstname.lastname@example.org.