Erdogan Claims Turkish Wedding Attack That Killed 51 Was Carried Out by Child Suicide Bomber
At least 51 people were killed and dozens more wounded in a suicide bomb attack on a Kurdish wedding party in the southeastern Turkish city Gaziantep on Saturday night.
Turkish President Recep Erdogan told reporters on Sunday that, according to police sources, the bomber was between the ages of 12 and 14, state-run news agency Andadolu reports.
Erdogan said that so far 51 people have been killed in the attack, and 69 people have been taken to the hospital, of which 17 are in critical condition.
Erdogan asserted that the Islamic State was behind the attack, although no group has claimed responsibility for the bombing yet.
The attack was carried out nearly two months after 44 people died in explosions at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport. At the time, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told the press that ISIS was behind the attack, though it’s still not clear if this is the case.