The California University of Pennsylvania basketball player found dead over the weekend likely died after inhaling gum into her lungs while she slept, according to the Associated Press.

Shanice Clark, 21, was found unresponsive early Sunday morning in her dorm room. From the AP:

University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

While the results of an autopsy performed Monday haven't been released, police and medical officials say preliminary reports indicate she probably fell asleep while chewing gum and then choked to death.

On Monday, California University president Geraldine M. Jones released a statement: "Our thoughts today are with the family of Shanice Clark, a senior from Ontario, Canada, who passed away early this morning. On behalf of California University of Pennsylvania, I extend my deepest sympathy to all of Shanice's family and friends. She will be missed by her teammates and coaches, her classmates, and by the entire campus community."