Gawker Media sees a strong future for commerce on its properties. As such, we're looking for someone with an exceptional writing voice, a thing for shopping, and unmatched taste to lead commerce content for Jezebel.
What is Commerce Content?
It's a brand new thing that merges writing and product curation. Most importantly, it adds value to our readers lives. So commerce content includes everything from posts about the cheapest deal on something our readers already want to introducing them to valuable new products they've never seen. It's a new type of service journalism. And yes, we generate revenue when products sell.
What You'll Do
Your beat is shopping. You'll be delivering content about products that Jezebel readers know, love, or should own. You'll have both a daily writing assignment and the freedom to pursue your own content ideas. If you're interested in things like flash sales, deal forums, style blogs, and Amazon.com, you'll use all of those as inspiration to create your own new commerce content product. You will be:
- writing deal roundups and crafting product curation posts for Jezebel readers
- engaging in conversation with Jezebel readers about products and shopping
- researching clothes, beauty, accessories, household items, and other items that are worthy of recommendation to the Jezebel audience
- being an authority on what's a bullsh*t deal and what's actually worth the price
- being a product review and style forum hound
- sourcing original exclusives from retailers with the help of our biz folks
- promoting your content on social media
- tracking your feature's success in analytics and affiliate programs
Who You'll Be Working With
You'll be working with our upstart commerce team. We're a startup group with the resources of a mature company. Think entrepreneurial!
Things You Should Be / Have
You should be a confident writer with an expert nose for both the best deals on Amazon and the newest finds on Etsy. More specifically you'll need:
- Obsession with Jezebel's coverage and its feminist mission
- Strong voice and solid narrative writing ability
- Passion for shopping for products and getting one's money's worth
- A nose for a really fucking good bargain, clearance sale, or coupon code
- Top notch grammar, spelling, and the obvious other nitty gritties that make for a sharp writer
- Design sense, Photoshop basics, an eye for what looks good on screen
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, blogs that you read, apps that you download, Pinterests that you pin to
How to Apply
This is an hourly position at Gawker Media's NYC headquarters. If things go well, a full time position might follow.
Send along the following in an email to commercejob AT gawker DOT com:
- Intro note
- Resume in plain text in the body of the email
- Links to your online worlds (Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, your blog, Pinterest, forum profiles, etc)
- An example post written for Jezebel readers that recommends an item you've found at a record low price