Police in Pittsburgh have cordoned off a downtown high-rise where a hostage situation is currently unfolding.

A 22-year-old man identified as Klein Michael Thaxton entered 3 Gateway Center around 8 AM this morning allegedly armed with a gun and explosives, and proceeded to take an unnamed individual hostage inside the offices of CW Breitsman Associates, a benefits administration firm located on the 16th floor.

While authorities continue to negotiate for the hostage's safe release, Thaxton has been posting status updates on his Facebook page, claiming he has "lost everything" including the will to live.

"This life im livn rite now i dnt want anymore ive lost everything and i aint gettn it back instead of walkn around all broke n shyt while niggas stunt on me n shyt," Thaxton wrote in an update shortly after the hostage situation began.

In another update, he appeared to be referencing a dispute with his father as a potential catalyst: "welln pops youll never have to woryy about me again you'll nevr need to by me anything no need to ever waste ur hard earned money on me. i'll live n jail you dnt want me around anymore thats kool bye...i love u assata sis."

Facebook friends of Thaxton reached out to him in the comments section, asking him to reconsider his actions. "Man come on cuz u better then that man let dat girl go cuz fuck dat bitch," wrote one. "Dont do this honey," wrote another. "Things will get better for yoy."

Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper told the Post-Gazette Thaxton's Facebook communication was "beneficial because it shows people care, but it's a distraction to our negotiators." He said Thaxton was thus far "being cooperative" with negotiators.

According to WTAE, Thaxton, a former servicemember, was sentenced last year to 6 to 12 months of "confinement" and another three years probation after pleading guilty to robbery, inflicting bodily injury, receiving stolen property and fleeing or attempting to elude police.

He violated his probation in May, and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.

UPDATE: The hostage situation was resolved peacefully a short while ago after Thaxton surrended to police. "The negotiators talked him into coming out of the office, releasing the hostage person, and he came out and surrendered," Police Chief Nate Harper told reporters.

[screengrabs via Facebook]