Anthropology: More a Hobby Than a 'Science'
Anthropology debate! Brain hearing! Jock myth! Unique fingerprints! Estrogen breast-rogen! Smallest battery! And gay mice marriage! It's your Friday Science Watch, where we watch science—if you can call it that!
- "Anthropology." The very word makes me gag and choke with the rising bile of disgust for pseudoscience. Now, even anthropologists are arguing over whether to call what they do a "science." I don't even know what anthropology is. Something with rocks? Fuck that.
- Turns out our brains are specially designed to filter out outside noise and allow us to hear ourselves speaking more clearly. Of course, we knew that about you already.
- The whole stereotype of "dumb jocks?" It's a myth! Nice try, nerds.
- Researchers have come up with a way to calculate the exact mathematical rarity of a fingerprint. So, just how special am I? The article doesn't even say. Wake up, idiots.
- Does estrogen therapy prevent breast cancer in women? Some people think so, but what they don't tell you is, if you didn't have any estrogen you wouldn't be getting breasts in the first place! Arrrgh!
- The world's smallest battery is only one seven-thousandth the thickness of a human hair. Well that's fine if you wanna power the world's smallest hair dryer, but what does it do for me?
- Scientists have mated a boy mouse and a boy mouse and produced a baby mouse. Oh. God. Now they've done it.