Dolly Parton Born, Kate McGarrigle Dies, Jane Krakowski Engaged
It was quite a day for female singers. Also either birthing, dying, or marrying today are Martin Bashir, novelist Robert B. Parker, Guy Day, Renee Zellweger, Bradley Cooper, and Top Chef tater tot Sam Talbot. Come find out which!
Births (and birthdays):
- Celebrating birthdays today are: Melanie Griffith's mom Tippi Hedren, the be-bosomed Dolly Parton, lard cooker Paula Deen (bet she has a killer cake), photographer Cindy Sherman, Nightline's Martin Bashir, the voice of that cyclops on Futurama Katey Segal, dead Soprano's girlfriend Drea de Matteo, Shawn Wayans (and none of his brothers), fallen Full House star Jodie Sweetin, gymnastic and star dancer Shawn Johnson.
Deaths (and other sad things):
- Canadian folk singer Kate McGarrigle lost a long battle with cancer today. She was famous before giving birth to musical children Rufus and Martha Wainwright, but that is all the kids remember her for these days.
- Novelist and Spencer: For Hire creator Robert B. Parker died today of natural causes at his house in Cambridge, Mass. He was 77, and will posthumously publish two books, which is two more than you will write in your entire life.
- Philadelphia Inquirer, Wall Street Journal, and Time magazine editor Steven Lovelady died at his home in Key West last Friday. He was 66.
- Advertising bigwig and cofounder of Chiat Day agency Guy Day died today. He was 76.
- Celebrating the anniversaries of their deaths today is: Ham, the first chimp sent into space.
Marriages (and other disasters):
- 30 Rock's Jane Krakowski got engaged to Robert Godley, the only straight clothing designer in all of New York.
- Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger moved in together which means it is only a matter of time before he proposes.
- Sexy Top Chef contestant Sam Talbot is separating from his wife. Before you get your scallop ceviches all in a twist, ladies, he's supposedly already dating Real Housewife Kelly Bensimon.
Got anything we forgot or need to include tomorrow? Send us your birth, death, or marriage info.