Heidi Klum had a baby girl on Friday night. Congrats! Well, some gossip outlets shouldn't be busting open the champagne, because while she was having the kid, they were fighting about whether or not she had it already.
Here's the timeline:
- Friday, October 9, 2:57pm: Radar Online is the first to report the news saying that she was born naturally at 1am on Friday.
- Friday, October 9, 4:18pm: Perez Hilton picks up the story with the Radar info, spreading it far and wide.
- Friday, October 9, 6:02pm: Us Weekly's website reports that Klum's rep confirmed the birth hasn't happened yet, but is imminent. Calls out Radar Online for getting the story wrong.
- Friday, October 9, 6:22pm: GossipCop, a website which policies the veracity of claims by gossip outlets, reports that the baby hasn't even been born yet.
- Friday, October 9, 7:46pm: Lou Samuels is born for real.
- Monday, October 12, 11:15pm: People.com runs the confirmation that the baby has been born. It runs a statement from babydaddy Seal with the real time of birth. It says the statement was released "Monday night."
- Monday, October 12, 11:31pm: Gossip Cop runs the official news along with Seal's statement.
- Monday, October 12, evening: Seal issues a statement that we've already read in People and on Gossip Cop.
- Tuesday, October 13, 7:37am: Radar Online runs an item about the birth saying, "When you're right — you're right. But we're not gloating. OK, we are!" They obliquely call out Us Weekly and say they never got the story wrong.
Yes, Radar, you did get the story right. Heidi gave birth to a girl and named her Lou Samuels. But since we all knew that she was pregnant with a girl for months, the fact that she gave birth to her was kind of an inevitability. While we're at it, Gawker has the big scoop: on October 9, 2010 Lou Samuels has her first birthday. We were the first to report it. The rest of you suck!