Bernie Madoff's in jail! The stock market is up! Enjoy the temporary dose of relief, because the recession is just getting bleaker. Even fun is now bankrupt:
- The Metropolitan Museum lays off 74 people, and warns of more layoffs to come. We cannot afford art.
- The number of foreclosures here in NYC rose 44% last month. We cannot afford homes.
- Last year, American families lost 18% of their total wealth. That adds up to $11 trillion. We cannot afford wealth.
- The leader of China says he's "worried" about the trillion dollars in US treasuries his country holds. We cannot afford credit.
- Six Flags is on the verge of bankruptcy. We cannot afford fun.
Everything is fine. [Pic via]