Five Yemeni detainees have been transferred to the United Arab Emirates from the prison at Guantánamo Bay in Cuba, the Department of Defense announced Sunday. Each had been held for nearly 14 years as wartime prisoners, the New York Times reports, and none were charged with a crime.
There are still 107 detainees at Gitmo, although as many as 17 transfers of other lower-level detainees have been proposed and are being considered, the Times reports. The United Arab Emirates had previously only taken in one former Guantánamo detainee, a UAE citizen, in 2008. The detainees arrived in the UAE on Saturday; the United States considers Yemen to be too unstable to accept prisoners.
Since taking office, President Barack Obama has reduced the population at the prison by more than half, the Associated Press reports. The Pentagon is expected to announce a plan for closing the detention center later this week.
According to the AP, the released men were identified as Ali Ahmad Muhammad al-Razihi, Khalid Abd-al-Jabbar Muhammad Uthman al-Qadasi, Adil Said al-Hajj Ubayd al-Busays, Sulayman Awad Bin Uqayl al-Nahdi, and Fahmi Salem Said al-Asani.