One of our favorite Oscar traditions is the menu of original cocktails inspired by the five Best Picture nominees, as devised by the clever bartending staff of The Polo Lounge. We gave them a call to see what they came up with this year (yes, these are all real):
· To honor No Country for Old Men, they have Blood and Sand: Johnny Walker Red, cherry brandy, sweet vermout, and a splash of OJ served strained in martini glass. Enough of those should give you a hangover that feels like a bolt-stunner to the melon.
· The Juno drink is a Blue Slushee, named for the frozen treat our hero upchucks into her stepmother's urn: Stoli raspberry, blue curacao, and lemonade, blended with ice.
· No, There Will Be Blood's potable does not involve a milkshake. Rather, it's Texas Tea: gin, vodka, rum, tequila, Cointreau. OJ, sour mix, and a splash of Coke, served on the rocks.
· For Michael Clayton, they offer Fixer: amaretto, cognac, cherry brandy and cream. Strained over ice and served in a martini glass.
· And finally, inspired by Atonement (and especially apropo today), try Bound by Love, containing sloe gin, Chambord, lemon juice and an egg white, shaken with ice and served up.
Of course, had the brilliant Diving Bell and the Butterfly snagged a nod, they could have added the Paralyzer to that list, a potent concoction that renders the drinker able to communicate only through a series of eye blinks.