I don't how to respond to your comment. I'll show you a little respect though, because I'm not a complete asshole.
1) This "man" hired a private investigator (to find my Livejournal - since deleted btw), big fancy lawyer from Denver (I live in a small town), etc. Why would he have spent all of that money to try and find "dirt" (all they could find was an online diary with profanity, heh) on ME if he didn't have anything to hide? I will say that the cop showed up in court as my witness. I will say that the cop apologised to me when I got off the stand because he saw how shocked I was with the way the lawyer was treating me. The cop said, "Look, this lawyer is from Denver. Nobody likes him here. It's nothing personal. It's his job to try to make you feel small. You did the right thing, don't feel bad for reporting this." I will say that the jury rolled their eyes in disgust when the lawyer started reading entries from an online journal - entries that I had written about my own fucking mother when I was a teenager. Entries that were supposed to be PRIVATE for friends that he was able to get copies of.
2) My mother was raped and molested by the age of 12. She was raped again at 16. I have been fortunate to have never been the victim of rape. Being on the stand over such a small incident (a man was masturbating in front of me, I asked him to stop, he did not, he lives in front of a daycare center, I called the police, I showed up to court as a witness, so did the cop, I thought everything would be settled) and having some lawyer try to break me down to pieces because I reported something disturbing was the last thing I expected. Seeing the man who did wrong sit comfortably while I was humiliated for doing the right thing just made me sick.
3) I get home. I'm tired. I see the LA Times article on Francis here and I think to myself, "I don't know how victims of rape get through it. They report the crime, then they have to go through so much shit just to prove they are telling the truth. What I went through today, they have to go through TIMES ONE MILLION. I can't imagine what the lawyers must put them through when they are on the stand. This is a sick world."
4) God forbid I am empathetic. For you to use my own comment in an attempt to seem superior and funny is rather lame. Grow up.
5) Your comment alone is exactly why there are so many victims of sexual assault. You mean to tell me that it is OKAY for a man to masturbate in front of a complete stranger? You might like that, but I find that a bit disturbing. You let men get away with that, then they expect to be able to get away with… RAPE. It's a power thing. Do some research, before attacking someone who did nothing but report a crime. And even though I've never been a rape victim, I can only imagine how fucked up that can make a person. My mom went through so much and she still feels scared at times. I feel for the victims, I feel for the shit they have to go through. Your comment even got to me, so I'd imagine they have to put up with crap like that their entire lives.
6) If you have a problem with my spelling, take it up with my spell check as my Gives-A-Fuck switch is out of order.
7) If you have any more "snark" to dish, please send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org - as I will be more than happy to go into further detail, if you still think my entire comment is "bullshit." I'll be glad to show you the letters I sent after the case was dropped. I will even go so far as to get the police officer to call you and explain what happened and you can talk to my landlord and ask why the penis rubber was asked to move.
Have a good day!
- Sherine (a REAL name from a REAL person who tells REAL stories)